Skip to main content

The Fire King

The Fire King is a YA/middlegrade fantasy adventure and the second book in Paul Crilley’s The Invisible Order trilogy.

WARNING: If you have not yet read the first Invisible Order novel, Rise of the Darklings, you should avoid this review like the plague. It’s way too awesome to sour with inescapable spoilers, in my opinion. Instead you can read my review of Rise of the Darklings here and go get yourself a copy. Then you can return.

I really, really loved Rise of the Darklings – the flavor of Victorian England mixed with a brand new mythology of faeries (most of which were creepy and deceptive) and an epic storyline featuring a smart, resourceful young 12-year-old girl named Emily Snow that really just wanted to make sure she and her brother could eat every night. Excellent plot, characters, etc., and a fantastic cliffhanger end that had The Fire King being one of my most anticipated books on my shelf.

And The Fire King met all my expectations!

I don’t want to give away too many details of the plot here, as any fan of Rise of the Darklings should already be invested enough in the characters and story not to need it. Just pick it up and read!

But, if you’d like it, to kind of sum up where we start – it’s right where we left off! Emily, her brother William, her friend Jack and the hilariously grumpy and tricky piskie Corrigan have landed in 1666 London with no way to get home.

Not to mention they are running into too many familiar, unfriendly faces, such as Jenny Greenteeth and Black Annis, as well as new enemies – and trying to keep their possession of Victorian England’s version of the always-sought-after key a secret!

Emily is convinced that the solution to their problem is to find Christopher Wren, past leader of the Invisible Order and try to find Merlin (all of which Merlin himself seemed to suggest she had already done in his past back in Rise of the Darklings) but her brother William is stubbornly insistent on following up on a lead about someone called the Raven King – a prophesied helper in the issue of fey.

Nobody seems to know what they’re talking about, and time is running out as the Fire King begins to burn London to the ground – and all those inhabiting it… Will they ever get home?

So, that’s a general sum-up of the initial plotline, without giving much away. But if you loved Rise of the Darklings, you’re going to love The Fire King too!

We have more adventure, surprisingly unexpected twists, a refreshing sense of real danger, scheming, and fear, and a legitimately epic tone in a story that weaves legends, myths, and wonderful humor into a story completely original.

I was sucked in from start to finish and actually finished it in one day! And I was at work! And it’s 400 pages! So, that says a lot. I mean, I don’t even know how I managed to do that.

But when a book like The Fire King is as fun, entertaining, fast-paced, well-plotted, smart and witty as this one is, plus has a wide variety of colorful, clever, fully-shaped characters that you are truly invested in, it’s easy to read fast! I also love how it can read by any age and be truly delightful!

Don’t even get me started on the last couple of sentences, either. I need to know when the third book is coming out!

You’ll know what I mean when you see it!

Go grab your copy of The Fire King and start reading! It’ll be more than worth your time!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200