Skip to main content

Darkness Falls

Darkness Falls is a YA urban fantasy/paranormal and the second book in the Immortal Beloved trilogy by Cate Tiernan.

As Darkness Falls is the second book in a trilogy, it’s obvious this review will contain spoilers of the first book, Immortal Beloved. So, if you haven’t yet read Immortal Beloved (and you really should, it was great), you should instead read my review of Immortal Beloved, which I posted on Friday.

If like me, however, you have read Immortal Beloved – read on…

Y’all should remember what Immortal Beloved was about (unless you’ve ignored my previous warning about spoilers – if that’s you, what are you doing still reading this???).

Nastasya Crowe is over 450 years old and still looks about seventeen. She’s an immortal. And only recently did she realize how utterly pointless and empty her long life has been. Taking up an offer from almost a century ago, she showed up at River’s Edge – a farm/rehab for wayward immortals. She met the gorgeous, golden Reyn who was strangely familiar and began to try and make peace with her history.

Then, as I’m sure you recall, she found out she wasn’t safe at River’s Edge either. Her past came calling and other threats to her healing were revealed.

And it was awesome, right? Well, I most certainly thought so.

So, now here we are in book two. Things start where they left, basically.

Only her initial hope and optimism of a New Year bringing relief from her ugly, dark past begins to wane. Things start going really bad at her job – worse than usual – even though she’s trying to help. She’s also dismayed to see that nothing she says to Dray, the juvenile delinquent she’s run across more than once, is improving anything.

Plus, Reyn’s fevered kisses war in her mind with the revulsion she now feels knowing how their pasts are linked. Nothing’s going as well as it should.

And it’s all her fault. It’s pointless, she feels. So, why keep trying to change? Why ruin it all for everyone else?

This all leads to a reckless change of course.

But is she really better off away from River’s Edge? Or is she in more danger than ever?

Okay, that’s all I’m gonna give you. Why ruin all the surprises, right?

One thing I absolutely loved about Darkness Falls was how the tone was exactly the same as Immortal Beloved. Sometimes when I read sequels right after the initial book there’s a weird change in tone you have to adjust to and get over initially – not here! And the story continued seamlessly with great consistency.

Without revealing too much of where the plot goes, I’ll say that Cate Tiernan really upped the suspense in Darkness Falls. I was nervous and worried for Nastasya, feeling the tension that reverberated tightly on each page.

Scary developments peppered the story throughout, as well as quite a few personal ones. It still had the fantastic straddling of the line between fantasy and literary fiction, giving us that character development and meditative narrative that is truly unique.

Darkness Falls is introspective, mysterious, poignant, and surprising. The self-realization is poetically and suspensefully done. There’s tons of horrifying, chilling twists (Incy really freaked me out) – not to mention moments that are incredibly romantic.

I did at times get frustrated with Nastasya and her choices in Darkness Falls – yet I still loved her as a character and felt that what she was doing made sense for her character, even if I might want to clench my teeth a little while she did it. I’m being just vague enough for you to do the same, aren’t I? Sorry! Gotta read the book for yourself!

Essentially, I found Darkness Falls to be an exhilarating read, yet again. I can’t wait for the third book and I hope it won’t take too long to come out!

By the way, if you don’t ordinarily read YA you should still consider Immortal Beloved and Darkness Falls because there is a maturity to the story that is easily accessible to older readers as well. Check it out!

*I received a copy of Darkness Falls from Hachette Book Group. Their generosity in no way influenced, nor sought to influence, my opinion of the novel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200