Skip to main content

The Vespertine

The Vespertine is a YA historical paranormal novel by Saundra Mitchell.

Sixteen-year-old Amelia van den Broek has been sent to stay with her cousins in Baltimore by her brother who wants her to have her time in society and find a good, appropriate husband – of which there aren’t many in their small town of Broken Tooth, Maine.

It’s 1889 in the summertime and all the pleasantries the city has to offer amaze Amelia and make her feel more like a naïve country girl than ever. But her cousin and companion Zora helps to introduce her to new friends as she begins to enjoy the new gowns, the parties, and the joviality. Though the one young man she feels inexplicably drawn to is not at all acceptable.

Then Amelia starts to have visions, amber-colored yet forceful and illusory, at sunset – and what she sees comes true. She’s seeing glimpses of the future. She can’t explain it and she’s doesn’t know why – but once words gets out about it she finds herself more popular than ever.

Acquaintances and strangers alike want her to peek into their futures – but what Amelia has to say is not always that big of a deal – nor, she learns, is it always pleasing. When her visions become darker and she starts to see things that burden her mind – her new life is thrown into chaos.

Because she is not the only one to wonder… is Amelia just seeing these new horrific things, or is she causing them?

The Vespertine left me speechless. Wow.

But now I have stuff to say. ;)

At first The Vespertine seemed simple – just a story about a girl in 1889 falling for an unsuitable guy and attending balls and such. Yet the initial chapter really provides an ominous, foreboding sensation that lingers on each page, especially as the story becomes increasingly creepy and disturbing. This paranormal historical novel becomes so much more as you factor in Saundra Mitchell’s ingeniously dramatic, gothic intensity as we jump forward to Autumn 1889 and get an occasional look into what is in Amelia’s future. Oooh boy.

But even with these evocative glimpses, it still took me a bit (though not too long) to really be captivated by the story. Soon, however, I was swept away by the zealous, restrained romance and lush, luxurious prose that soaks you in an atmosphere that is undeniably gripping.

I was constantly wondering where all of it would go as the spiritualism took twists and turns that sizzled with suspense. The Vespertine has “wowza!” developments and revelations that create an ethereal, stunning, amazing tone. Just when you think you’ve got a handle on this one-of-a-kind lyrical novel, you realize you don’t!

Yes, this is one heck of a dark, deep, and introspective book. The style is lovely, unique, startling, passionate, and unlike anything I’ve read for a long while. It’s utterly fantastic and breathtaking! I was literally frozen, caught up in the narrative – haunted, absorbed, mesmerized.

The Vespertine had me riveted to the very last word – and I must say that I was more than satiated. I mean – oh my goodness!!! Wow! I was gob smacked, and like I said earlier – speechless!

There’s going to be a companion novel coming soon called The Springsweet. You can count me among those hungry bibliophiles that will be waiting with bated breath – how about you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200