Skip to main content

Goddess

Today's post is in remembrance of Rusty - our nearly 16 year old cat that died in my arms yesterday at 4:38pm. His loss is felt deeply with a hollowness in our heart. As a little guy, he used to love me reading him Harry Potter out loud and for years he was fascinated watching me rearrange my books. His sweetness was of cheerfulness and love and he is missed terribly. We love you, Rusty.

Goddess is a YA modern-day Greek mythology supernatural novel and the final book in Josephine Angelini’s Starcrossed trilogy.

As a major fan of both the first two books, Starcrossed and Dreamless, I was very excited to read Goddess. Bet you can guess what I’m going to say…

Do NOT read this review until you have read both of the above mentioned books!!! Click on their titles to read those reviews, but avoid this one to avoid spoilers! Got it? Promise?!? Okay.

Fans/readers of the first two books may now proceed –

After a bloody, torturous, horrifying confrontation with a minor god, Helen is now facing many unsettling facts.

One is that she inadvertently caused the separate Scion houses to unite – meaning war and devastation as the gods can now return to wreak havoc on humanity.

Second is that after that terrifying moment with Orion and Lucas in the cave, they became blood brothers – and she now has more powers than ever before.

This revelation is creating a divide between her and her friends, especially as the Oracle warns that the Tyrant lurks in their midst and all fingers appear to be pointing to Orion – whom Helen refuses to believe would ever turn against them.

As the war that has been building over centuries finally comes to a boiling point, Helen knows that just as the original Face played a vital role – so she does here as well.

Before reading Goddess I re-read Starcrossed and Dreamless, and just as the first times I read them, I loved them. And my, is the end of Dreamless intense!!!

Goddess was riveting and engrossing from start to finish. I missed some of the lighter moments, the humble personality of Helen suffered a bit from all she’s undergone and we got a lot less of Helen’s kick-butt best friend Claire and her sweet, awesome dad.

However, this is an epic conclusion to a trilogy about Greek mythology – so I had to trade my love of the more fun interpersonal relationships for the more dramatic, life/world-changing finale stuff.

There were some shocks that were quite impressive, some rather depressing turns of events, and flat-out romantic moments. I can’t say I felt the Goddess met all my expectations – sometimes I felt it could’ve used more time to introduce and blend some newer characters in a less rushed way and that Helen could’ve used a bit more development involving the changes she went through – but I can’t say it wasn’t an entertaining, great end.

Perhaps a re-read in the future would lead me to love it even more.

What I will say, though, is that the final epilogue? LOVED it.

Really, overall, I thought Goddess was pretty fantastic and completed an amazing trilogy!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200