Skip to main content

Dreamless

Dreamless is a YA modern twist to Greek mythology by Josephine Angelini.

This novel is also the sequel to the utterly fantastic book Starcrossed, which I reviewed here last year, and which was so remarkable it made my Stand-Out Books of 2011. In other words, if you haven’t read Starcrossed yet, you really need to fix that!

Especially before you read this review!

Only the Starcrossed initiated need read further, as all others have my strict warning that despite my stringent lack of spoilers for Dreamless, there will be inevitable hints to plot reveals in Starcrossed that you should avoid!!!

Final chance to look away…

Oh my gosh. I was absolutely ecstatic to get a chance to read Dreamless after Starcrossed being one of my favorite books last year – and I am THRILLED to report that as far as I’m concerned, Dreamless actually EXCEEDED my expectations!!!

Here’s a little about it:

Helen Hamilton up until recently considered herself a secret freak. She knew that she could blow everybody away a little TOO much in track, if she let herself. She knew that she could tear the door off the hinges, if she let herself. That’s why she never let herself. Not to mention the horribly painful stomach cramps that would occur whenever she was noticed too much by anyone other than her best friend Claire, which was a deterrent to showing off her freak-ness.

But things drastically changed when the Delos family arrived in her small community of Nantucket. Her life turned upside down when she went from literally wanting to kill them to finding a secondary family in them, once the Furies were appeased by her and Lucas’ mutual sacrifice. You know what I’m talking about if you followed my instructions and are only reading this after reading Starcrossed.

Now, Helen knows she’s a Scion, a descendant of Greek gods and the people of ancient Troy. Among many other things. But she’s also the only Scion to be able to descend into the Underworld. This gives her the unique chance to stop the endless cycle of involuntary vengeance that afflicts Scions through the merciless Furies. Yet nightly “adventures” in what equates to Hell is wearing on Helen…

When Helen meets a new Scion in the Underworld, however, her fruitless trips become a bit lighter. Orion is cheerful, funny, and reminds her to smile sometimes. Even with his help, though, time is running out and if she ever wants to complete her task, progress is going to need to be made…

But through it all, the most impossible mission seems to be to forget Lucas…

Alright, I may have overdone it with the ellipses. Oh well. The excitement! The intrigue! Oh my!!!

Dreamless jumps right into the excellently fast-paced, engaging, engrossing tone that I adored in Starcrossed. Josephine Angelini continues to deepen my investment in the large cast of characters, the romance, the awesome plot, and the families, mythology, etc.

I was absolutely riveted! I love the serial, larger-than-life quality of this series, which is heavy with emotion, family dynamics, vibrant personalities, and a quest for the ages. This is a sweeping, suspenseful, edge-of-your-seat type of action, romance, and drama.

Believe it or not, it’s hard to explain how into this series I am! I seem to simply gel with this author I think. Both Starcrossed and Dreamless are examples of epic stories being both creative and well-written into pure entertainment!

Simply amazing!!! I cannot wait for book three!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200