Skip to main content

The Vampire Stalker


The Vampire Stalker is a YA book lover's dream come to life, by Allison van Diepen.

Amy, along with almost every other teen girl in the world, hangs on every word of the insanely popular YA novel Otherworld. But unlike most readers, she's in love with the character Alexander Banks, the brooding, handsome vampire hunter instead of the romantic, gentle James. Amy's problem is that she really feels like she loves Alexander, which is depressing since he doesn't exist, except on the page. No other guy measures up. She can't help but feel that this makes her kinda pathetic.

But then one night as Amy is walking home through the park she runs into none other than Alexander Banks. No way, right? At first she thinks he's a fanboy who's taken things too far with the whole getup and way of speaking - but then she realizes that he is too perfect, too similar for it to be anything but real. And he is hunting down Vigo, the ultimate vampire psychopath from the books. Somehow, someway they are real - and in her world!

She tries to help him, but she's in way over her head - not to mention distracted by the fact that a character she has been in love with is now living and breathing beside her! But Vigo is wreaking havoc on the city - murders begin to pile up and the horror increases. They work together to try and figure out how Alexander and Vigo got to her world, and how they can get back to theirs before Vigo kills even more and turns Chicago into the kind of wasteland Alexander lives in. But if Vigo leaves, Alexander would to...

Everybody is in danger - and so is Amy's heart.

The Vampire Stalker opens with the utter excitement of purchasing an anticipated book, in Amy's case the sequel to Otherworld, which moves the novel into my good graces right away. After all, all of us bibliophiles know and recognize that feeling. And being infatuated with a character from a book? Um, hello? Has anyone noticed that my email is MrsRonWeasley87@aol.com? Uh, yeah. I totally relate.

This book is pretty much the fantasy come true. Once Alexander shows up there is definitely a spicy chemistry that makes me root for a romance between them. To be honest, Alexander's way of talking and the way he reads is not as appealing to me as I think he could have been. But that's just my opinion - and I still wanted them together and did feel their connection.

It's a light novel, but most certainly enjoyable. I was not astounded by originality or brilliance in The Vampire Stalker, but I was charmed and mildly entertained. It was never boring, in fact it whipped by superfast! It's a romantic reader's dream and delightful - perhaps a little superficial and gimmicky, but fun.

In the end, The Vampire Stalker didn't leave much of a lasting impression on me personally (maybe it will for you, remember one opinion is only one opinion), but it was diverting and had pleasant characters. For me, I just never felt real passionate about anyone or anything. Whereas, you very well may!

But all of us book addicts have our own Alexander Banks, so it is most assuredly relatable and a fantasy that is fun to follow and escape with for a while. :)

***BIBLIOPHILE ALERT! I have been reading like an even crazier book addict than usual this year, and apparently three reviews a week can't keep up pace with me! Because of this, for the entire month of July I will be having FIVE reviews a week! That's right! Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday! So, please remember to check back here more often during July - and come August I'm planning on returning to three reviews a week. Keep the schedule change in mind, and don't miss any reviews! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200