Skip to main content

Forgotten


Forgotten is the YA debut of Cat Patrick.

Sixteen-year-old London Lane can't remember what happened yesterday. She never can. At 4:33AM each morning her memory wipes clean, and all she has to keep a handle on what happened the day before - or in fact, any day since she was six and this started happening - London reads all of her notes. Her notes inform her of what she wore the day before, what she needs to bring to school, what's going on with her best friend, etc. Each morning her life is new.

But she does "remember" the future. Not all of it. Just pieces. Just like a memory of the past. And in this memory of the future she sees various upcoming heartbreaks or joys for her classmates, including her best friend. But when her flash-forwards don't warn of the gorgeous new guy named Luke who seems interested in her - she's afraid that means it's not going to go anywhere anyway. And how can she keep up a potential romance with a guy she'll forget tomorrow anyway?

When London's "flash-forwards" start to become disturbing and begin to feature a funeral, London is convinced she needs to find out what is going on in it, and try her best to change it. Because, after all, what's the use of her unique brain if she can't at least do that?

Forgotten is a fascinating and certainly original novel. The basic premise is already enough to blow your mind, and the intimate, lovely, and mysterious way Cat Patrick writes it made me patiently await more info on London's strange ability/disability as I followed, oh-so-willingly, this bizarre but admittedly intriguing plot down the rabbit's hole.

This is one of the most flat-out enigmatic novels I have read this year! It was never, ever boring - keeping me glued to the tantalizing revelations and stunningly presented story of a girl who never remembers, but you do. And it's never a bad thing that Forgotten also features a hot, awesome guy who has become the perfect boyfriend for London (in my mind, at least), though she can only look to her reminder notes each morning to "know" that.

Heartrendingly beautiful and lyrically scribed, I was utterly riveted as London's story turned more harrowing and revealing as it neared the end. After all, you all know that we're wondering what London's brain resets every day since she was six. What happened to her? Cat Patrick doesn't expect us to forget this question.

Though the mystery and suspicions of the past she has no memory of is an important part of Forgotten, the book in itself still epitomizes the ultimate romance, amazingly executed plot, family's enduring love, and character development up the whazoo!

I positively LOVED it!!!!!! And as I finished the novel and sat it lovingly to my side, I couldn't help but let out a contented sigh. Now, that is a sign all of us unashamed bibliophiles recognize! It means, this is a really good book!!!!!!

Now, I am sure that many will say this, so forgive me because I cannot resist... Forgotten is a novel that will never be forgotten. It lingers oh-so-gloriously, reminding you of its power, eloquence, unexpected twists, and one of the most unique first loves you'll ever witness.

All I can do is thank Cat Patrick - and beg her to keep on writing novels this stunning!

*I received a review copy of Forgotten from Hachette Book Group. Their generosity in no way influenced, nor sought to influence, my opinion of the novel.

***BIBLIOPHILE ALERT! I have been reading like an even crazier book addict than usual this year, and apparently three reviews a week can't keep up pace with me! Because of this, for the entire month of July I will be having FIVE reviews a week! That's right! Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday! So, please remember to check back here more often during July - and come August I'm planning on returning to three reviews a week. Keep the schedule change in mind, and don't miss any reviews! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200