Skip to main content

Kindred


Kindred is a YA fantasy novel by Tammar Stein.

Miriam is the quieter twin. She's a college freshman, and just working hard - keeping her head down. Mo, her twin brother, is the more vivacious, outgoing one. It's strange being apart from him - but they are both dealing with it like adults.

But then one evening as Miriam is studying the archangel Raphael visits her - it's terrifying, confusing, and utterly overwhelming. She deciphers what he said in ancient Hebrew and finds herself given a mission, of sorts. At first she doesn't believe it, not sure if she was just hallucinating, but then she meets the girl mentioned in the unsolicited message and finds herself believing more and more that she is meant to save her.

What happens sends Miriam into a tailspin - her entire life changes course. She's not sure what to do, where to go. But what only increases her fear is that Mo tells her that he was visited as well - only his visit was from the opposite end of the spectrum and he seems oddly pleased by this...

Is Miriam blessed? Cursed? Why her? Why Mo?

What is the purpose behind her mission?

I definitely don't want to give away much here - especially because even the inside jacket cover of Kindred is sparse on the details - which I love - and I want you to experience this phenomenal novel like I did!

First off, as a Christian I am not big on fictional angel stories - it's a fad I've never really gotten into. There have been occasions when I've been truly impressed with them - Silver Smoke was very cool and A Touch Mortal was original in its course - but I've never sought out "angel" books. But taking all of these novels as fantasies can be enjoyable - but so far, I have not yet read one as utterly unique, unsettling, and riveting as Kindred!!!

Miriam is a sweet, smart gal - it's easy to follow her. You hurt with her and root for her. When later we meet an attractive, kind, caring, and very hot tattoo artist named Emmett you want her to find happiness with him. I was super invested in her as a character because Tammer Stein's writing was absolutely excellent.

Then when we are introduced to her twin brother Mo, there is an underlying creepiness and a feeling that he is hiding something dark and wrong - yet you feel their connection, their love, and their familiarity. But it is being tested by outside parties, it seems, and the struggle is engrossing.

Miriam's story is a constant surprise, her character development is incredible, and there is a hushed suspense to everything. I rarely read a YA novel so stark and realistic about some of life's lesser written about moments, nor have I often read about a character I loved almost like a friend - Kindred had it all.

Kindred is, in my opinion, stunningly beautiful, lyrical and touching. It's a romantic, jarring, compassionate story that has no easy answers or resolutions but packs an emotional punch that still leaves me wowed, days later!

I was truly taken aback by Kindred - if you haven't read it - then, in my view, you need to!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200