Skip to main content

Forever Princess


Forever Princess is the tenth and final book in the extremely popular Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot.

Just like I said about Princess Mia on Wednesday, if you haven't read the books before Forever Princess you'll find inevitable spoilers in the description of Forever Princess. I strongly suggest avoiding it till you get the chance to get caught up! Otherwise, lets see what Mia is up to you in this final (*sniff*) Princess Diaries...

It's been almost two years since Mia and Michael's epic breakup and Mia's epic breakdown. Now Mia is nearing her eighteenth birthday and her graduation from high school, and has changed quite a bit. For one thing, she has a non-obsessive relationship with J. P., a healthy friendship with Tina and (shockingly enough) Lana, and a senior project that is a real accomplishment.

Of course no one knows what it actually is, besides very few people. Mia has decided to keep the fact that her senior project is actually a historical romance novel a secret, especially since all she's been receiving are rejection letters from publishers. So who knows if it is even any good. Apparently the last two years of her life were a waste.

Despite being much more levelheaded than her younger counterpart, Mia can't get herself to be as into her boyfriend as everyone else is, nor can she ignore the fact that Michael is back from Japan and looking very good. But they've both moved on, and Mia has no excuse for not loving J. P. as much as he loves her.

So Mia tries to get herself excited for prom (which will be hard to do when she's trying to avoid it) while watching her dad's poll numbers drop and her cousin Rene's poll numbers rise in the election for Prime Minister of Genovia (completely her fault), and tries to figure out what she's going to do next. Her choices (clearly) have consequences...

When we return to Mia's life in Forever Princess we have skipped over almost two years of time. This is quickly explained away by the fact that while she was writing her novel she wasn't writing in her journal at all. She returns to us much more mature - so much so it is startling! She has a calmer, more confident and sarcastic tone. It's great, but I couldn't help but miss the excited, slightly crazy Mia I had grown to love - and wondered if this was inevitable with the loss of Michael and her lifetime best friend Lilly. Her life changed so much, why wouldn't she?

The fact that Mia has been with J. P. the entire time surprised me, but I found it extremely believable. He's been a secure rock in her life, if perhaps a bit boring and clingy from my standpoint. I really liked J. P. at first, but Meg Cabot has done a great job of making him layered, and even a bit irritating, in a natural way.

I am still flabbergasted that Lana is friends with Mia now, and to see that she still is - awesome! It's refreshing and happily unexpected. And then we have the ever-so-hot Michael come back and spark a light in some of Mia's long dormant giddiness (which has a more grown up tone, but still), which she tries to squash - but makes me ecstatic.

As I was reading Forever Princess, I couldn't believe how much I wanted Mia and Michael to get back together!!! I was on pins and needles the whole time, whipping through the pages. I will not, of course, tell you if my wish comes true or not - you'll have to read it for yourself.

Forever Princess was inspiring, empowering, and bittersweet as we said good-bye to characters I have come to adore, now iconic and beloved in my bibliophile mind. It was a fun yet sensitive end to a series that really emphasized supportive, loyal friendships and the importance of finding your own voice, instead of relying on someone else's. I truly, truly loved it!!!

Still absolutely laugh-out-loud funny and charming, Forever Princess brought to us a phenomenally romantic and exciting conclusion! I gobbled it up - enjoying every delightful, hilarious, touching, and oh-so-terribly awesome bite!!!

I am SO glad I finally got a chance to read the end of the Princess Diaries series, because it is an incredibly PERFECT ending - leaving me gleeful from my fingertips to my toes!!! And a little sad, too. Because I no longer to get to read a Mia story for the first time. Well, except for Sweet Sixteen Princess - which I haven't gotten to yet. So, here I come!

Thanks for an amazing ride, Meg! :)

***BIBLIOPHILE ALERT! I have been reading like an even crazier book addict than usual this year, and apparently three reviews a week can't keep up pace with me! Because of this, for the entire month of July I will be having FIVE reviews a week! That's right! Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday! So, please remember to check back here more often during July - and come August I'm planning on returning to three reviews a week. Keep the schedule change in mind, and don't miss any reviews! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200