Skip to main content

Ironskin

Ironskin is a fantasy novel by Tina Connolly.

Five years after The Great Fey War many victims remain – the ironskin.

Jane Eliot is one of them. Wearing an iron mask over half her face helps to contain the fey curse that mars her – that tries to give off unearthly feelings of rage to herself and those around her.

The beauty she once had is no more.

But she finds a semblance of peace in helping others deal with their own fey curses. So, when she answers a listing for a governess to assist with a little girl born during the Great War, Jane reads between the lines.

Dorie, though, is a stubborn child with a curse completely unique to anything Jane has seen before. The child has no wish to suppress her curse – and trying to teach her how is met with frustration and misery.

While persisting, Jane can’t help but be intrigued by Dorie’s artist father Edward Rochart whose secretive work seems to involve many beautiful women…

Beneath all the enigma and hard work there is a dangerous possibility of the war rising up again. Slowly, Jane must learn more about her surroundings, and herself, to meet it…

I loved the idea of this Fey War and a woman whose beauty is disfigured. I have nothing against attractive characters, but oftentimes in fairytales and fantasy if someone is unattractive it is the male – which I feel gets old and sexist. I like things being turned on their head, refreshes stories.

Unfortunately, yet again, I ended up less than pleased.

Ironskin has definite similarities with Jane Eyre – but only faintly. Mostly, I felt that Tina Connolly used all of the names from the classic book and then did what she wanted with them. This fantasy world it takes place in was devastated by a fey war that deeply interested me, but never was fully explained.

Initially I was waiting for more personality, spookiness, plot and/or atmosphere. It never wholly developed, in my opinion. In fact, it was consistently interrupted by chaotic, confusing storytelling that never gave me a clear picture of our setting or characters. For example, what time period are we in? Obviously not modern times, but not the late 1800s either. Perhaps the 1920s or 30s? On top of that, the language is all over the place for any solid or roundabout era. This was very unsatisfying for me.

Dorie herself might have been the only character I was truly empathetic with. The poor thing is damaged, obstinate and troubled. Yet the way Jane and her father dealt with her didn’t seem all that helpful. So, her issues were affecting, if only because they disturbed me, but the rest?

Any romance element did not feel natural to me. I felt no chemistry, no intensity. The mystery only vaguely intrigued me – it was pretty clear from the get-go what was going on in general.

Unfortunately, Ironskin is not Jane Eyre. And, you know, that’s okay. I don’t want it to be, really. But it also was just a bit of a disenchanting mess, in my opinion.

This is, again, MY OPINION. Read it yourself – I hope you love it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200