Skip to main content

Meridian

Meridian is a YA paranormal novel by Amber Kizer.

Since Meridian was very, very young she’s attracted dead and dying creatures. It would be a horror waking up in the morning to a bed full of lifeless insects, frogs, rabbits, etc. Her parents never said a word about it, but Meridian could see the disgust and revulsion in their eyes as they silently cleaned it up.

Even when she was at school creatures would find their way to her, just to die at her feet. She became an outcast from the get-go, other students and even teachers seeing her as a freak – probably even wondering if she was doing something to the animals to cause them to die.

Then on Meridian’s sixteenth birthday there is a car crash right outside her house and her body explodes with pain – she can hardly walk, hardly move. Her mother drags her away from the accident, quickly packs her in the car, hands her a stuffed backpack, and directs Meridian’s dad to get her to the bus terminal as fast as possible.

Meridian’s pain lessens the further she gets from the accident, but the story her father is telling her makes absolutely no sense. As her dad dodges traffic he haphazardly explains to Meridian that she is a Fenestra, a half-angel, half-human link between the living and the dead.

And she’s in serious danger.

Before she’s had a chance to even try to process this information, Meridian’s being instructed to get on a bus and go an aunt she’s never met in person – to leave her family behind.

Meridian’s life will never be the same…

Meridian has a really interesting premise; it’s unique and dark for sure. But I had a really hard time connecting to the story. The writing almost seemed a bit stale to me, sometimes a little on the cliché side and just overall had an odd vibe that kept me at a distance. Because of this, I lacked the investment that would allow me to get lost in Meridian – I always felt like I was at arm’s length.

Once Meridian got to her Auntie’s house, things began to improve for me. There were more characters, more dialogue, and some majorly dramatic “wow” moments that began to turn me around. There are some disturbing plot twists and events that really bring the threat against Meridian and her abilities to the forefront.

We also started to get more potential romance in the shape of Meridian’s hot protector Tens. Her attraction and feelings for him are charismatic – and I got to the point where I cared enough for our main character to long for her to feel wanted – her life had been so lonely so far.

Yet, despite all the improvements as Meridian continued, I still felt occasionally awkward (especially in romance department, as things progressed) and the book was stilted from time to time. Now, as I always say, this is just one bibliophile’s opinion. You could completely disagree with me – but I just had a bit of a hard time with Meridian. Something always felt a little off.

It’s funny to say this, because just last year Seven Kinds of Ordinary Catastrophes by Amber Kizer made by Stand-Out Books of 2011 list. But that book was a contemporary humor novel – so, maybe the different tone doesn’t work for me?

Overall, Meridian is a compelling and effective new paranormal fantasy – but, for me, an uneven and uncomfortable one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200