Skip to main content

Memento Nora


Memento Nora, a YA dystopia coming out in early April, is the debut for Angie Smibert.

Terrorist attacks are nearly a daily occurrence, but Nora has never witnessed one first-hand. But one day, as she's out shopping with her mother, the bookstore they're about to enter explodes and a body falls to the ground directly in front of fifteen-year-old Nora.

Per standard procedure after such tragic events, Nora's mother takes her to TFC - a Therapeutic Forgetting Clinic - as keeping such memories can cause serious mental damage. It's her first time, and she'll have her Mom with her to example how you first describe the terrible memory and then take the pill to erase it.

But... a mysterious guy that Nora only sort of recognizes from her school catches her eye. And he does something that is unheard of.

He spits out the pill.

No one else notices. And Nora's mind is reeling as she enters the room with her mother.

Then her mother's memory isn't the one she expects to hear - it horrifies her.

And though it goes against everything she's ever known, Nora spits out her pill when no one is looking. Because someone needs to remember...

But remembering may prove far more dangerous than forgetting.

First off, is that an awesome premise or WHAT? And what's even better about it is that this slim YA novel packs all the punch you hope for from a synopsis like that, and more.

I really loved Memento Nora! It has a Minority Report-like futuristic world that is in many ways like ours, but more violent and bleak. The people are blank, having holes where memories used to be. We see a freedom-starved country that make their people zombie-like and fuzzy minded for their "own good".

And the catalyst of the story, Nora's first visit to TFC, is quickly and startlingly surprising, setting off a turn of events that feel BIG. Angie Smibert's writing ability is tremendous, as she is able to use few words to create a huge impact.

I can't really say much more about the story itself without giving away little spoilers, and believe me you're going to want to read Memento Nora for yourself! But I can say, safely, that the characters are easy to relate to and fascinating. And that this is one heck of a page-turner with an excellent plot - one of those books you get really into.

Memento Nora is utterly engrossing, soaked in a cloak 'n dagger suspense and a starkly imagined world where deeds can be done and consequences can be erased for compensation. Angie Smibert digs deeper than the superficial, though legitimate, fear of this prospect, and looks at the more human level. What could people get away with? Why? Who would the beneficiaries be? The result is a chilling, magnetic YA thriller that every dystopia fan should (and will) clamor for.

With its disarming simplicity and ege-of-your-seat suspense, Memento Nora managed to be scary, incredible and awesome right up to its breathless, astounding end! I honestly cannot wait for the sequel and must implore all of you to look for a copy in April!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Evangeline of the Bayou

Evangeline of the Bayou is an urban fantasy middle grade novel written by Jan Eldredge and illustrated by Joseph Kueffler. You may have noticed that just last week I posted a Q&A with the author! There is no doubt that twelve-year-old Evangeline will become an amazing haunt huntress – not with a lineage like hers. Not only was her mother a force to be reckoned with, but Evangeline lives with her grandmother – a daily opportunity to hone her skills. And she’ll definitely get her animal familiar soon. Definitely. It will be better than some unruly cat named Fader. Dang cat. Perhaps her time will be now – now that she and her grandmother have been called to New Orleans to investigate a strange case bursting with secrets to be unearthed. Yeah. She’ll definitely be returning to her bayou a true haunt huntress… This is a fun one. There was one particular line that was so delightful that I made a special note to call out in my review: “…its spiri