Skip to main content

Allie Carson: Interpreter Extraordinaire


Allie Carson: Interpreter Extraordinaire is a middlegrade/YA novel by Marilyn Kinghorn.

Since Allie's mother died in a tragic accident, Allie has noticed that her ability seems to be getting stronger. You see, she can speak with animals. She has regular conversations with her dog Whisper, in fact. But in the midst of everyday life, soccer, school, helping to take care of her special needs brother Jonah, and picking up the slack of her forgetful and busy, but well meaning and kind, dad - she can't imagine telling anyone about it. So, she keeps her ability to herself.

In the meantime, Allie has to keep an eye on her suspicious and unfriendly houseguest Gina, a girl her own age that is staying with them for a short time. From Allie's perspective, it can't be soon enough. But when marine animals suddenly begin getting sick and dying, Allie communicates with a young seal and decides to try her best to help. But what can a 6th grader do, even if she can talk to animals?

Allie Carson: Interpreter Extraordinaire is a fusion of Dr. Dolittle and light, meaningful, mystery. I found Allie to quickly be established as a normal, likable, bright young girl that is just starting to like boys, beginning to feel an awkwardness that was never there before with her male best friend Sam, with family responsibilities and hobbies. Plus, there's the added stress of keeping her ability a secret - but other than that, Allie is refreshingly angst-free and down-to-earth.

Marilyn Kinghorn presents a lovely consciousness of animals (perhaps inevitable in a novel like this, but done very well), a believable foray into the first days of Junior High, and a representation of taking care of and loving a special needs brother with sensitivity and a touching bittersweet awareness. This grounded quality makes Allie Carson: Interpreter Extraordinaire a great read for animal lovers of any age (like me).

Not to mention the perfectly written mean-girl-esque Gina and the horrible, but sadly realistic, plotlines her presence in the Carson house take the novel. I was in quite a state of suspense in some of the later scenes, as a direct result of her evilness. Okay, maybe she's not evil... but close. ;)

And the portrayal of a single-parent family will resonate with a lot of girls Allie's age out there. Yet again, it wasn't written from the standpoint of pity, nor was her father a bad dad. Life can be hard sometimes, and Allie Carson: Interpreter Extraordinaire didn't have any qualms about showing that - without ever becoming depressing or whiny. Instead you get a wiser-than-her-years, smart heroine that you can root for and relate to.

Admittedly, there were times early on that the plot seemed a bit too light - but the down-to-earth sensibility of the book and sweet animal scenes were enough to keep me involved. And as you can see, I grew more and more convinced, as the novel continued, that Allie Carson: Interpreter Extraordinaire was a great read.

In the end, I can say with assurance that Allie Carson: Interpreter Extraordinaire is an engaging, complete, human tale - despite having a cast of characters that are probably at least 50% animal!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Evangeline of the Bayou

Evangeline of the Bayou is an urban fantasy middle grade novel written by Jan Eldredge and illustrated by Joseph Kueffler. You may have noticed that just last week I posted a Q&A with the author! There is no doubt that twelve-year-old Evangeline will become an amazing haunt huntress – not with a lineage like hers. Not only was her mother a force to be reckoned with, but Evangeline lives with her grandmother – a daily opportunity to hone her skills. And she’ll definitely get her animal familiar soon. Definitely. It will be better than some unruly cat named Fader. Dang cat. Perhaps her time will be now – now that she and her grandmother have been called to New Orleans to investigate a strange case bursting with secrets to be unearthed. Yeah. She’ll definitely be returning to her bayou a true haunt huntress… This is a fun one. There was one particular line that was so delightful that I made a special note to call out in my review: “…its spiri