Skip to main content

Spray


Spray is a new YA suspense novel written by British author Harry Edge.

A target for you to track down. An assassin on your heels wanting to track you down. An entire city to hide in.

This is Spray, a pressurized water gun game that has become hugely popular throughout the world. There's only one winner, and some players get really into it. Maybe too into it.

Among the two hundred players and three weeks of game play there are certainly some people with ulterior motives. Told from multiple viewpoints, you may feel like you yourself are playing Spray.

All right my beloved bibliophile readers, I can only be completely honest with you. This premise did not fit my fancy. It felt like an odd concept, not real appealing to me based off the back cover description or its cover.

The game itself is sort of confusing, and I honestly had a hard time in finding the point in it. What kind of prize would motivate two hundred people to stop their lives, whether school or work, to get this into it? It's never actually specified, beyond telling us that it isn't that big of a deal. We're supposed to be convinced that this water gun game is just so fun, that it is the experience alone that encourages people to want to play. I just couldn't wrap my head around that, sadly.

Also, the characters are given short names (Zed, Yogi, Mac, Green, Han, etc.) in order to be anonymous in the game. Unfortunately, these similar names made the characters themselves anonymous to me, the reader. I could not get down who was who, they became jumbled - making it even harder to get into Spray. They just became, for me, a big lump of confusion with nearly identical goals - to spray their target before their assassin sprayed them.

I don't want to slam the novel, because I am sure there are a lot of readers out there that would get into a concept like this. I encourage you to check it out for yourself, always! I, however, found it to be tedious - kind of like a drawn-out kids' game that lacked any lively characters or cleverness to grasp on to. And there is pretty much no stakes at all - the game appears to hold no actual danger, therefore no believable tension.

When some secret agendas begin to make themselves known much later in the novel, and the players have been reduced greatly making it slightly easier to know one from another, Spray becomes a bit more interesting. The pace picked up for me a little since I was more curious about these revelations. However, it still felt melodramatic to me and my patience didn't, in the end, feel rewarded.

Spray did become more fun as it progressed, but the oddly tense-less plot and conclusion and strange lack of stakes made it hard for me to really recommend it. But, like I said, READ IT FOR YOURSELF! Never, EVER take my word for it!!!

Be your own bibliophile!

Special Note: I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas tomorrow!!! I wish you all tons of books and Amazon.com gift cards! Please come back to the Bibliophile Support Group on Monday for another new review! And a week from today there will be an EXTRA SPECIAL New Years Eve post - highlighting the stand out books of 2010! Mark it on your calendar - and again, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200