Skip to main content

The Alchemyst

The Alchemyst is the first in the YA fantasy adventure series The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott.

I know I’m late to this series. Very late. But the fact that the sixth and final novel in the series, The Enchantress, recently came out that my long-held interest in the series came to a head. So, here I am! I’ll be getting caught up on this series, one book a month until I get to The Enchantress!

Let’s be honest: As much as a bibliophile wants to be able to read every book as it comes out, it just ain’t possible! ;)

And maybe you also happen to one of the few book lovers’ that hasn’t had a chance to dive into this series yet – so, let’s learn a little more about it… Opinion to follow, of course!

Sophie and Josh Newman, fifteen-year-old twins, have been enjoying their summer in San Francisco. Sophie’s working at a cute café right across the street from her brother who’s working as an assistant at a slightly eccentric bookstore owned by Nick Fleming, so it’s all good.

That is, until she spies a bunch of indistinguishable men head toward the bookshop, all wearing sunglasses and heavy black coats – strange in eighty degree weather. Suspicious, even.

Thing is, Josh and Sophie don’t know it yet, but Nick Fleming is actually the immortal Nicholas Flamel. Born in Paris in 1330, he “died” in 1418. But his tomb is empty. As is that of his wife’s, Perenelle.

All those years ago, Nicholas became the guardian of an ancient tome, the Book of Abraham the Mage. In it is ever changing information, a small part of which provides the secret of eternal life – the one thing in the book that Nicholas and Perenelle have taken advantage of.

But there is much more in the mysterious book. Things that could be incredibly dangerous in the wrong hands. Possibly even the power to destroy the world…

What Sophie doesn’t know as she watches the unusual men enter Nick’s bookstore is that her and her twin’s lives are about to change forever. Because a treacherous man named Dr. John Dee is planning on taking the Book of Abraham the Mage – and kidnapping the guardians.

And Sophie and Josh just happen to be part of a prophecy – a prophecy that will throw them right in the midst of this ageless battle…

That’s the basic gist for a synopsis!

What did I think?

Well, The Alchemyst was instantly action-packed, providing us with an initially awkward intro to magic and secrets that rather quickly morphs into genuine intrigue and suspense.

One of the things I was most interested in when I heard about this series is the fact that Michael Scott has absolutely no fictional characters in the books besides Josh and Sophie. Everybody else is a figure of history or mythology. Very cool. And I did love the way the author was drenching The Alchemyst into historical and mythological depths while providing a fun, blockbuster feel.

My only problem was that it was so fast-paced from the get-go that I felt a disconnect between myself and the characters. And a slightly cheesy tone that I hoped would dissipate. Which it did, mostly.

The awesome thing about The Alchemyst is that this is a large-scale, cinematic, extremely visual, entertaining book. Despite my continued desire to connect more with the twins, I can’t deny the fascination The Alchemyst provided!

So, onto book two – The Magician!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200