Skip to main content

Flutter


Flutter is a YA romantic sci-fi novel by Gina Linko.

Since seventeen-year-old Emery Land can remember she’s been looping. That’s her word for when she has seizures and travels through wormholes in time. Essentially she’s time traveling. Even if it’s difficult for her father’s scientists and medical team to swallow.

But the loops are having a physical toll on her. With each one she returns from, her organs are aging. Instead of having a normal life hanging out with her best friend, going to school and looking at colleges, she is now living in the hospital being monitored constantly.

Deep down, Emery agrees that she doesn’t have much time left – the loops are killing her. But if her father’s team refuses to accept the truth about what happens when she has these seizures, how can they help her?

Using a clue from one of the loops, Emery escapes the hospital and travels to Esperanza, a small town. There she meets Ash – a young man who is enigmatically damaged and dedicated to performing some kind of penance.

Somehow Ash seems tied into Emery’s loops, and Emery wonders if unraveling the mystery might help her save her own life…

Flutter was certainly unique. One thing I’ll say is that I don’t love this cover. The lines across it (which you might not see in the picture) gave off this very futuristic, techie vibe to me – which Flutter is most certainly not.

Really, Flutter is a contemporary novel with a sci-fi twist when it comes to Emery’s loops. It reminded me of my favorite TV show Lost – Desmond Hume gets unstuck in time and randomly experiences past/future. It was also dangerous to his health. So, there was definitely a connection there.

For a while, I was a little disconnected. I got frustrated when I felt Emery was ignoring an obvious plot twist FOREVER – but I was wrong!!! Ha! It’s nice to give the bibliophile a kick in the pants every once in a while. That helped immensely; even if I was still a little exasperated Emery didn’t at least suspect what I was thinking sooner.

Emery and Ash, though, are two very, very likable characters. They aren’t mushy or unrealistic, they have issues, secrets, and their love story is very involving. They really saved the story for me in those less exciting moments.

Plus, Gina Linko did surprise me with the book’s later revelations. My predictions ended up being way off – which I like! Very cool.

If you’re in the mood for an introspective, contemporary, sensitive romance with a twist of sci-fi mystery, Flutter should be next on your reading list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200