Skip to main content

Mystic City


Mystic City is a YA romance-oriented futuristic fantasy novel by Theo Lawrence.

In the future, Manhattan has been affected by environmental issues and has been essentially held up by mystics, people with special powers and abilities that have come out of hiding. They have assisted in creating the skyscrapers called the Aeries where the rich and powerful live.

Like Aria Rose and her influential, political family.

Yet thought the mystics provide the energy to keep the city pulsing, after a terrorist attack concocted by their kind many years back they have been drained of their powers on a regular basis, and regulated to the Depths, the squalor where the poor live.

All of this is common knowledge to Aria, but on her mind are other things. Such as the fact that she is wildly in love with Thomas Foster, the son of her father’s long held political rival. Such as the fact that their families have shockingly embraced their union and they are now engaged to be married.

Such as the fact that she has no memory of any of it.

They all tell her she overdosed on a mystic drug that has messed with her memory, but no one is giving her a chance to remember Thomas before their wedding day. Their Romeo & Juliet love affair is going to help get the family the votes they need to stay in power in the upcoming election.

But when Aria is with Thomas she feels… nothing. Shouldn’t there be some remnant of her love for him, if she was willing to risk the wrath of her family to be with him?

Then she meets Hunter. Attractive and dangerously rebellious, he’s a mystic that has not been drained of his magical abilities. In him, she has feelings she doesn’t come close to with Thomas.

It’s time to search for the truth…

Shall we all agree that the cover of Mystic City is gorgeous? The shimmering loveliness evokes a grace, mystery; fantasy and romanticism that makes me just want to stare at it! Very nice.

From the get-go, my opinion of the contents behind that dazzling cover, though, were messy. On the one hand, the environment seemed interesting and visually exquisite – despite being, I felt, a bit confusing and jumbled.

Writing wise, a lot of it was telling not showing, at least for the first half. Yet I was constantly intrigued. Aria as our main characters often came across as bland and too familiar-feeling when compared to other girls in YA today, yet there was an addictive air to Mystic City I could not deny.

You see my problem?

I kept feeling pulled in two directions, on the one hand my brain kept telling me that Mystic City had too many recognizable plotlines that trumped the parts of it that were unique, that the novel was unimpressive even as it was weirdly absorbing, and that I couldn’t stop reading it despite my increasing frustration over Aria’s blindness to plot twists that were obvious to me.

Oh, I’m so torn! Obviously, Theo Lawrence did a good job at the romance aspect of it – just in the fact that while part of me was consistently saying “meh” or “blah”, another part of me just HAD to know what was going to happen next.

Maybe there’s a hopeless romantic in me that was swept away by the sweeping forbidden love story aspect? Maybe.

My arguments are moot, because at this point I really do need to read the next book.

How about you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200