Skip to main content

Liar's Moon

Liar’s Moon is a YA Renaissance-era fantasy adventure, and the sequel to StarCrossed, by Elizabeth. C. Bunce.

If you haven’t read StarCrossed yet, I’d recommend you do NOT read this review. It will contain spoilers of the first book. Instead, read my review of StarCrossed by scrolling down on the home page - and read the book!

Final warning to anyone who doesn’t want spoilers on StarCrossed

Digger’s back in Gerse after a highly eventful time in Llyvraneth. She’s settling back in to being a pickpocket in the city, rooming with her friend Rat and finding jobs. Thing is, it’s harder finding jobs now that she stupidly revealed that she’s the sister of the Lord High Inquistor, leader of the Greenmen and persecutor of religious freedom.

When she suddenly is picked up and thrown in jail, she’s not necessarily surprised at the turn of events but confused as to what the charge is – she hadn’t actually been doing anything at the time. But then she sees that she has been put in the same cell as a familiar face – Durrel Decath – one of the young noblemen that helped get her out of Gerse when she desperately needed it.

She’s shocked to learn that he’s been imprisoned for killing his wife – and is very close to being executed.

Then she’s mysteriously bailed out without explanation. Clearly someone wants her involved in Durrel’s case.

Digger certainly doesn’t believe he’s capable of murder, but there’s some heavy duty setting up going on here. As she investigates, she finds information that she doesn’t like. Information that might mean her instincts about Durrel might be wrong. There’s evidence he purchased the poison and that his marriage was extremely unhappy. And with her special ability she finds out that there are traces of magic at their now cleared-out home.

Yet… Digger still inexplicably wants to trust him.

It may be that this thief might be falling for a murderer as a civil war is pushing its way to the city gates.

Maybe the truth isn’t worth it…

As I wrote on Monday, I really liked StarCrossed. So, I was happy to read the sequel! From the start I was pleased with the tone and I was glad that Bunce brought back Durrel, in a much more compromising position. Right away we are put in a mysterious situation, with Digger landed right in the thick of it (of course).

Liar’s Moon is swift, clever, and a bit more on the ball pace-wise than StarCrossed – not to mention adding a little touch of romance! There’s hardly a time that isn’t a plus! ;)

In Liar's Moon we’re given a long slew of clues, red herrings, and deep conspiracies among the humor, spice and trickery we were introduced to in StarCrossed. There’s still great political uproar and danger and a fantastically measured, intelligent tone that help to blur the sometimes slow and stuffy narrative. It might’ve used a bit more oomph, but overall I was contented! The likable, memorable characters are of assistance in this.

But then – WHOA!!!

A HUGE shocker of a cliffhanger ending left me stunned! It blindsided me, truly.

And now, more than ever, I’m wondering: When’s the next book????

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200