Skip to main content

Veiled Rose


Veiled Rose is a grown-up fairy-tale appropriate for all ages by Anne Elisabeth Stengl.

Being as this book in the second in a fairy-tale/fantasy series called Tales of Goldstone Wood, I would recommend reading the first book (Heartless) first - though I personally didn't get the opportunity to do that and still found Veiled Rose to be easily read as a stand-alone novel.

Eleven-year-old Leo doesn't want to stay indoors watching his boring cousin read research novels - he wants to go out on adventures. After all, what's the point of having a summer in the country if you don't go out in the country? And the rumors of a monster in the woods is growing more rampant - so Leo sets off to hunt the monster with a beanpole.

But he doesn't find a monster. Instead, he finds a girl named Rose Red who is entirely covered in ragged veils. Not a tiny bit of her appearance shows. She lives in the forest with no one but her beloved nanny goat and her kind father. Leo isn't a big fan of girls, but the two hit it off and begin having daily adventures - Leo practically forgets that Rose Red is shrouded in veils.

However, not everyone has forgotten about the monster in the woods - there are those who seek it. And it is not yet clear to the children what danger awaits them both as their friendship is tested.

Terror awaits...

Veiled Rose has a lovely, sweeping use of adjectives that painted a vivid and magical picture of the story in my mind. It initially sets up a fantasy quest from the prospective of the future and has a charming, instant flashback to Leo's childhood, in which we see him as a stubborn, adventurous boy not fully realizing that he is setting off a course of events that will last many, many years.

I thoroughly enjoyed the classic tone of this enchanting tale. The prose wrapped me up in the story. And Rose Red is a mysterious little figure that I was quite intrigued by and was happy to follow to her eccentric home to learn more about her. Anne Elisabeth Stengl provides the readers' with a sweet, interesting, unique, motley crew of characters!

As the story continued, some creepier bits with Rose Red and her dark, eerie dreams began to offer up more questions and mysteries - which is, of course, fun! I loved the way Stengl tells the tale in a patient, yet constantly inventive and magnetic, manner. Veiled Rose has an epic feeling to it, a larger-than-life scale with a sensitivity and genuineness to it that is refreshing and original.

Veiled Rose spans about ten years worth of time and is truly a wondrous journey of monumental proportions with subtle faith-based metaphors. Now, with some of the late plot developments I think I would still strongly suggest reading Heartless first (again, that is the first book in the Tales of Goldstone Wood series) but it is still fine to read it alone. I know I'm looking forward to going back and reading Heartless very soon, though!

Yet with all this praise, I do feel like I have to say the end left me torn. I, of course, will not give away anything here - no spoilers at the Bibliophile Support Group! But, there was a certain way I was hoping for Veiled Rose to end and it did not happen. Now, is that a bad thing? No. In fact, I love that Anne Elisabeth Stengl continued to keep Veiled Rose absolutely unexpected and cliche-free. However, there was a sadness and a bittersweetness that left me feeling a bit down at the conclusion - when I was hoping to feel happier. Was this conclusion more poignant and meaningful? Perhaps. But it didn't change the fact that I had been hoping for a happier end.

Again: this is only my opinion - what may have been considered happy to me doesn't mean it would be happy for you! Read Veiled Rose for yourself and don't take this as any sort of sign of how it will end, because this is very much an individual opinion!

This is the thing - there is going to be another book in the Tales of Goldstone Wood coming out next year called Moonblood. I believe (from the excerpt) that it will continue this delicate yet strong story - so it really isn't an end at all.

I strongly, strongly recommend Veiled Rose as a brand-new, beautiful, inspirational and heartrending fantasy that gives a mature perspective. It's a wonderful story that I believe you should read as well, especially if you're a fantasy or fairy-tale lover looking for something new and different!

*I received a copy of Veiled Rose from the Bethany House Book Reviewers program, which you can check out here. Their generosity in no way influenced, nor sought to influence, my opinion of the novel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200