Skip to main content

The Daughters Take the Stage


The Daughters Take the Stage is the third novel in Joanna Philbin's YA contemporary series The Daughters.

Just as I said in my review of The Daughters Break the Rules on Friday, I strongly suggest reading every series in order to have the best reading experience. So, I'd recommend skipping this review if you haven't read the first and second books in the series yet, even though each one is about a different character so the spoilers aren't too bad. But any spoilers at all, in my opinion, are bad! :)

Anyway, in The Daughters Take the Stage Hudson Jones is the star. Being the daughter of super-famous, ultra-popular pop star Holla Jones makes the fact that Hudson is starting to have an interest in her own music career a bit more difficult. Because Hudson has a sound different from her mom's, and she still hasn't felt ready to have the spotlight on her yet.

Can Hudson overcome her stage fright? And even if she does, will she have the courage to sing the way she wants instead of the way her Mom wants her to?

Hudson is quieter and more introspective and shy than Carina and even Lizzie from the first and second Daughters books. But this makes her unique and offers a new relatable quality, despite being the daughter of a famous person. Joanna Philbin is excellent at carving out a layered characters and providing just enough drama and issues to be believable and honest. The fact that Hudson's Mom is overbearing and leads to self-doubts in her teen daughter is understandable - and you root for Hudson to gain a voice of her own.

The Daughters Take the Stage is a beautiful, raw portrayal of stepping out of someone else's prominent shadow and becoming your own person. There is a lack of romance in this third novel that is almost refreshing. After all, this series is fun and frothy, despite it also being heartfelt and emotional - and its nice to see Joanna Philbin is not taking the cliche route of by-the-numbers romance in each outing.

Then we have the healthy friendship that Philbin shows us, instead of backstabbing. We don't see quite so much in The Daughters Take the Stage, as it is more about Hudson's self-esteem and has an individualistic quality to it, but the friendship is in the background, always solid and steady and strong. The pain Hudson goes through makes you ache with her, and the lessons she learns along the way are not preachy but natural and true to life.

I loved it and I cannot wait for the next Daughters book!!! Apparently a new Daughter is going to be introduced, which sounds cool. But I admit, that I wouldn't mind a second round of these beloved characters anyway.

The Daughters Take the Stage is a meaningful novel that is more than just fun, but still totally fun. Check it out!

*I received a review copy of The Daughters Take the Stage from Hachette Book Group. Their generosity in no way influenced, nor sought to influence, my opinion of the novel.

-->Make sure to check back tomorrow for a special TUESDAY post in which I will be posting a CONTEST where FOUR books are up for grabs!!! Come back and enter tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Evangeline of the Bayou

Evangeline of the Bayou is an urban fantasy middle grade novel written by Jan Eldredge and illustrated by Joseph Kueffler. You may have noticed that just last week I posted a Q&A with the author! There is no doubt that twelve-year-old Evangeline will become an amazing haunt huntress – not with a lineage like hers. Not only was her mother a force to be reckoned with, but Evangeline lives with her grandmother – a daily opportunity to hone her skills. And she’ll definitely get her animal familiar soon. Definitely. It will be better than some unruly cat named Fader. Dang cat. Perhaps her time will be now – now that she and her grandmother have been called to New Orleans to investigate a strange case bursting with secrets to be unearthed. Yeah. She’ll definitely be returning to her bayou a true haunt huntress… This is a fun one. There was one particular line that was so delightful that I made a special note to call out in my review: “…its spiri