Skip to main content

Half Lives

Half Lives is a YA sci-fi apocalyptic novel by Sara Grant.

It was an ordinary day for Icie.

She was being consoled by her best friend over the break-up text message she had gotten when her parents started to urgently reach out to her – telling her she had to get home immediately.

When she did, she didn’t expect to be strapped with cash and given a backpack full of survival supplies – but that’s what happened.

Then the gravity of what her parents were telling her started to sink in.

They were privy to knowledge that a major, world-changing bio-terror event would be happening very soon and they wanted to get to a bunker in Vegas before it happened.

Or rather, get Icie to a bunker.

Getting there and then staying there ends up being more terrifying than she could imagine.

Hundreds of years in the future, life has changed. People live and worship in the very bunker Icie is desperate to reach.

They don’t leave. They fear terrorists.

Their leader is Beckett, a teenager that has ties to Icie.

Generations apart, Icie and Beckett face the threat of extinction and the fight for survival…

For me, reading Half Lives was a given after having read Sara Grant’s debut, Dark Parties, a while back and LOVING it.

Here, though, I wasn’t as in love…

I was much more captivated and interested in Icie’s story than Beckett’s.

The future that was being presented was confusing and felt a little familiar – and its use of bizarre new vocabulary made it hard to take seriously at times.

Then when it came to Icie’s story there was a thrill, a danger, a horror that was represented well as we see the world swiftly fall apart and her try to follow her parents’ wishes despite it all. Yet… even her story began to wear a little thin.

I kept waiting for a bit more to happen. Though there were moments Half Lives still managed to give me chills and touch me, I never felt it reached its full potential.

The alternate point of view in the future really didn’t connect with me, which I think was one of the main reasons I had issues with it.

After giving it my best try, I finally began to skim the future side of things.

Sadly, I didn’t feel Half Lives was nearly as powerful or original as Dark Parties.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200