Skip to main content

The Missionary

The Missionary is an adult fiction novel, co-written by William Carmichael and David Lambert. (ISBN: 978-0-8024-5569-7, Moody Publishers, 2009, $13.99)

American missionary David, his wife Christie, and four-year-old boy Davy are living in Caracas, Venezuela, helping to rescue homeless, sick, and starving orphans on the streets - of which there are many. The only problem is that David begins to find his work to be almost pointless - for every child they take in at Hope Village, there are dozens more still out there. He desperately wants to do more. And when an opportunity presents itself, David finds himself participating in a dangerous attempt to change the Venezuelan government - an attempt that puts his life, as well as his wife's and son's, at risk and causes him to become an international fugitive.

So, I thought the premise sounded pretty good - and it is. Plus, the cover is nice and eye-catching. There's a slow build in momentum, and the action does pick up. At times I felt like the narrative was being stalled by the characters, whom I never really came to be all that attached to. Not that they are not likable, they are... I just didn't feel there was enough character development... Something just seemed to be missing as far as their personalities go. Parts of the novel seemed repetitive at times - and I kept expecting the plot to pick up more speed.

Don't get me wrong - it was by no means a bad book! There's a lot for anyone who is into espionage, government thrillers, and missionary suspense to enjoy. I just felt that compared to other books I've read of a similar nature, that The Missionary didn't quite have the oomph to really power me through the pages. But once David was on the run, I did become more invested in his escape - I was nervous for him. The Missionary definitely offers up a scary situation - one that is not all that hard to believe either!

Some of the religious questions posed were a bit too obvious to me, personally... I like a bit more subtlety in my novels. But I recommend The Missionary to any of you bibliophiles who like Christian fiction! It had some fun surprises and twists that I didn't see coming, which is always good. ;)

I was never bored, but I admit to skimming.

Though I wouldn't actively seek out another book by William Carmichael and David Lambert, if I came across one I would certainly give it a chance.

Just like you should read The Missionary for yourself if it sounds interesting to you, and not just take my word for it!!! Never, ever do that! That's advice from me, your Bibliophile Support Group leader, to you. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Evangeline of the Bayou

Evangeline of the Bayou is an urban fantasy middle grade novel written by Jan Eldredge and illustrated by Joseph Kueffler. You may have noticed that just last week I posted a Q&A with the author! There is no doubt that twelve-year-old Evangeline will become an amazing haunt huntress – not with a lineage like hers. Not only was her mother a force to be reckoned with, but Evangeline lives with her grandmother – a daily opportunity to hone her skills. And she’ll definitely get her animal familiar soon. Definitely. It will be better than some unruly cat named Fader. Dang cat. Perhaps her time will be now – now that she and her grandmother have been called to New Orleans to investigate a strange case bursting with secrets to be unearthed. Yeah. She’ll definitely be returning to her bayou a true haunt huntress… This is a fun one. There was one particular line that was so delightful that I made a special note to call out in my review: “…its spiri