Skip to main content

How to Slay a Dragon


How to Slay a Dragon is a new middlegrade fantasy novel by Bill Allen.

Greg Hart is normal, kinda scrawny kid. He likes to write out elaborate fantasy hero sequences in his journal, with himself as the star of course, and spend time alone in his treehouse. Being twelve and about ready to start seventh grade is tough enough without getting chased by the school bully, so he tends to avoid as much conflict as possible.

But when he wakes up by the prodding of a rather rude stick and sees a bunch of cloaked and excited-looking faces, he is unable to avoid the situation. Apparently he has been taken to another world called Myrth, and the magicians of this land believe him to be a legendary dragon slayer prophesied to save the King's kidnapped daughter.

Um, yeah right.

Greg tries his hardest to convince them that they have the wrong guy - but no one believes him. No prophecy has ever been wrong before.

But Greg is afraid that he's been yanked into their world of sorcery and danger to prove that, unfortunately, there is a first time for everything.

Sounds like a fun premise, right? And it is!

It starts off humorous and imaginative, but my initial issue was that I thought the narrative flow felt stilted. I was unable to really connect with the story, and some of the characters that I got the feeling I was supposed to like just came across as annoying to me. And sometimes Greg's hesitance (which is understandable) read more like cowardice.

I was, admittedly, having a bit of a hard time getting into How to Slay a Dragon and began to get a bit *ack* bored.

However, as the novel progressed and I kept reading a couple new characters were introduced: a enigmatic traveler named Nathan and a pretty creepy witch named Hazel. And with the awesome name of the witch and the suddenly deeper fantasy shape and mysteriousness that How to Slay a Dragon was taking, I got a glimmer of hope - and hooray, it improved!

How to Slay a Dragon ended up having a fun sense of adventure, of a quest. And I started to recognize some cleverness and wit that I think I may have been missing earlier on. With Greg as our unsuspecting hero and surprising twists that kept things interesting, I began to enjoy the story and see how boy readers would probably gobble this up!

Though there were odd bits that I still felt like skimming, I found that the characters (even the one I initially found annoying) were colorful and delightful - and I could see where the sequel could be something to keep an eye out for.

Comments

Angie said…
Hi Lindsay!

I'm thrilled to hear you are following the Bibliophile Support Group and are enjoying it!

But either I am having another brain freeze (entirely possible), or I have never heard of GFC. Could someone kindly enlighten me?

Thanks bunches! And I'll definitely try to check out your blog, Lindsay!

-Angie

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200